One of the most prominent names and descriptions of God is יהוה צבאות – “YHVH of armies” – Isaiah 6:3. It is difficult in this modern world to understand God in some kind of military role. Here are some biblical perspectives:
- God is sovereign over the armies of heaven and earth, and is an expert at the strategies of warfare – Psalm 24:8.
- There are armies of angels that are occasionally seen by human beings – II Kings 6:17.
- The chief commander of the angelic armies is Yeshua (Jesus) Himself – Joshua 5:13-15.
- As commander, Yeshua (or one of the top angel generals) has the power to destroy an entire human army single-handedly – Isaiah 37:36.
- The angelic armies may accompany a human army if that army has righteous leadership and is fighting for a righteous cause – II Samuel 5:24.
- There is warfare in the spiritual realm between good angels loyal to God and bad angels in satanic rebellion – Revelation 12:7.
- Both good and bad angels are ordered in a hierarchy with military-type ranks – Ephesians 6:12.
- One important strategy is to pray for the forces of demonic angels to be divided and fight among themselves – Luke 11:17.
- Ultimately that spiritual warfare will culminate in a great end times’ battle in which Yeshua will descend from heaven leading the angelic armies – Revelation 19:11.
- When they descend, they will fight against the armies of an evil world empire on this earth – Revelation 16:14, 16; 19:19.
- Those armies will have united together to attack Israel. Yeshua will fight against them and destroy them. His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives – Zechariah 12:3, 9; 14:2-4, 12.
- Sometimes extended prayer and fasting is needed to understand these spiritual battles concerning Israel and the end times – Daniel 9:1, 20-22; 10:2, 12-14, 20-21.
- However, the angelic armies will start to respond from the very first moment we begin to pray (if we pray according to God’s will) – Daniel 9:23; 10:12.
With the recent missile attacks between Israel and Gaza, we are reminded that spiritual warfare is sometimes expressed on the battlefields of this world. That warfare is likely to become increasingly intense as we progress into the end times. May God grant us wisdom for prayer strategies that match His strategies!
Asher serves as president of Tikkun Global family of ministries and congregations, dedicated to the dual restoration of Israel and the Church. He is founder of the Revive Israel five-fold ministry team, and oversees both Ahavat Yeshua and Tiferet Yeshua congregations in Israel.
He and his wife Betty share a passion for personal prayer and devotion, local evangelism and discipleship in Hebrew, and unity of the Body of believers worldwide.
Asher was raised in a conservative Jewish home and holds degrees from Harvard University, Baltimore Hebrew College and Messiah Biblical Institute. He has authored numerous books, tracts and articles.